Mark Luque is someone I admire and follow closely. He is a brilliant leader and I'm tickled that he chose me to be part of this Cool Homework Task (talk about positive peer pressure :)). I read his homework and thought, uh-oh...I have to blog to complete the task, yikes! I wasn't sure if I was ready for this. Honestly, a blog is something I considered and added to my 2014 Goals list along with completing my dissertation and a few other "minor" things. Thanks to Mark, the 2014 blog is now a 2013 reality. Fantastic! I hope to inspire others with my experiences as a leader and learner. Thank you for allowing me to share my leadership journey with you.
Here we go...
My Second Task: 11 Random Facts About Me
1. I was born in Mexico. My parents left everything behind and brought me to US at age four. They were courageous and I'm thankful.
2. I have SEVEN siblings and I'm the oldest girl. I spent my summers babysitting my siblings. They still owe me for that! ;)
3. I'm an optimistic person and a risk-taker (in a good way, of course).
4. I'm the first to go to college on both sides of my family.
5. I'm the only child in my family to attend college. Someday I'd like to research WHY
6. I seek to learn something new everyday.
7. As a kid, I was a bubble gum bubble blowing champ. I still love chewing gum...it helps me focus.
8. I have two amazing kids ages 6 and 13. My son is my mini me. My daughter is a wild child. Not sure where she got that.
9. I've always wanted to be an educator. I had incredible teachers who nurtured my love of learning.
10. Everyone that gets to know me describes me as "passionate." I love that!
11. I was THIS CLOSE to becoming an LAPD officer. I wanted to work with kids as a DARE officer...crazy, right?!
My Third Task: Questions for Me
1. Are you the oldest, middle, or youngest child? I'm the oldest female
2. On New Year's Eve, do you watch the ball drop or are you in bed by 10:00 pm? I love watching the ball drop...with a large glass of champagne in hand.
3. What is your dream job? My dream job is to consult and work with educators all over the world. My focus: edleadership/school culture/relationships and impact on student achievement.
4. Who is your best friend and how did you meet? My best friend is Roberta. I met her in kindergarten...a looooong time ago. We still hang out.
5. Have you ever met anyone famous? Desribe the encounter. I had two awesome encounters. I'm a big Laker Fan. I met Luke Walton (when he was actually playing for the Lakers) at Chipotle. I was in awe. I walked over to him, introduced myself, and got an autograph. He asked me if I knew where Petco was located!!! I smiled for days. Second encounter: I connected with Anthony Muhammad (Transforming School Culture) on Twitter. I read his book a few years ago and it made a powerful impact on me and my role as an educational leader. I got everyone in my district Ed Services team (who would listen to me go on and on AND ON about his book) to read it! Meeting him in person was a rock star moment.
6. What was the last book you finished reading? Motion Leadership by Michael Fullan. Michael Fullan is the Change master.
7. You could have dinner with three people from your PLN, who do you invite? Wow...only 3??!!! difficult! I'd love to meet Lorinda Kline (@lorindakline). She sounds like a wonderful person and a passionate leader. I relate to her tweets. Ken Williams (@unfoldthesoul) is an unbelievable speaker and all about school culture. I'd love to sit and pick his brain for a while. David Culberhouse (@Dculberhouse) is brilliant, period.
8. Would you rather attend a sporting event or concert? If you selected a sporting event, who is playing and what venue is hosting. If you selected a concert, who is performing? LAKERS, for sure. The Lakers with a healthy Kobe playing against Miami (King who??) at the Staples Center. Phil Jackson would coach them to victory.
9. Android or Apple? Apple. :)
10. If you could spend one day doing whatever you want, how do you spend your day? I'd have a day of relaxation. Great coffee and a good book in AM, beach side. A deep tissue massage, pedicure, and facial (I'm a bit girly) followed by a power nap. I would end my day with my favorite people enjoying a scrumptious dinner, a live blues band, and a glass (or two) of pinot noir.
11. Why did you choose to be an educator? Who has been your greatest influence? Education saved my life. I grew up in poverty and my school was my safe haven.. Many of our students feel the same way and I'd like to create a similar learning experience and environment for them.
My teachers inspired me, especially Ms. DeLaPena, my first grade teacher. She validated my language and culture by taking time to teach me to read and write in my native language, Spanish. She did this on her own time after school. Thanks to her, I was a proud fluent Spanish and English reader by the end of my first grade year.
My Fourth Task-Nominate 11 bloggers to join the Homework Club
Lorinda Kline @lorindakline
Scott Rocco @ScottRRocco
Will Remmert @Willremmert
Liz Ramos @historytechie
Luis Cruz @lcruzconsulting
Brad Currie @Bcurrie5
Jimmy Casas @casas_jimmy
David Theriault @davidtedu
Chris MacPhee @CRPSCaper
Scott Cunningham @ScottACunningha
Tom Whitford @twhitford
1. Are you the oldest, middle, or youngest child?
2. Do you speak another language?
3. What was your first job?
4. How long have you been an educator/leader?
5. Who is your favorite author?
6. What was the last book you read cover to cover?
7. If you could have dinner with three people from your PLN, who would you invite and why?
8. What is your favorite music genre? Favorite artist or band?
9. If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one item with you, what would it be?
10. If you could change one thing about education, what would it be?
11. Why did you choose to be an educator? Who has been your greatest influence?
That is all, PLN friends. It's time for you to meet the challenge. I can't wait to read your blogs!
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you