Skip to main content

The Homework Task that Pushed Me Out of My Comfort Zone

Twitter has allowed me to connect with a number of brilliant educators, lead learners, passionate presenters, and mentors. I've learned more from my PLN over the last year than I have from years of professional development. I've had CONVERSATIONS with authors and presenters that I've admired for years! Unreal. I look forward to many more connections and opportunities to learn with my twitter tweeps.

Mark Luque is someone I admire and follow closely. He is a brilliant leader and I'm tickled that he chose me to be part of this Cool Homework Task (talk about positive peer pressure :)). I read his homework and thought, uh-oh...I have to blog to complete the task, yikes! I wasn't sure if I was ready for this. Honestly, a blog is something I considered and added to my 2014 Goals list along with completing my dissertation and a few other "minor" things. Thanks to Mark, the 2014 blog is now a 2013 reality. Fantastic! I hope to inspire others with my experiences as a leader and learner. Thank you for allowing me to share my leadership journey with you.

Here we go...

My Second Task: 11 Random Facts About Me

1. I was born in Mexico. My parents left everything behind and brought me to US at age four. They were courageous and I'm thankful.
2. I have SEVEN siblings and I'm the oldest girl. I spent my summers babysitting my siblings. They still owe me for that! ;)
3. I'm an optimistic person and a risk-taker (in a good way, of course).
4. I'm the first to go to college on both sides of my family.
5. I'm the only child in my family to attend college. Someday I'd like to research WHY
6. I seek to learn something new everyday.
7. As a kid, I was a bubble gum bubble blowing champ. I still love chewing gum...it helps me focus.
8. I have two amazing kids ages 6 and 13. My son is my mini me.  My daughter is a wild child. Not sure where she got that.
9. I've always wanted to be an educator. I had incredible teachers who nurtured my love of learning.
10. Everyone that gets to know me describes me as "passionate." I love that!
11. I was THIS CLOSE to becoming an LAPD officer. I wanted to work with kids as a DARE officer...crazy, right?!

My Third Task: Questions for Me

1. Are you the oldest, middle, or youngest child? I'm the oldest female
2. On New Year's Eve, do you watch the ball drop or are you in bed by 10:00 pm? I love watching the ball drop...with a large glass of champagne in hand.


3. What is your dream job? My dream job is to consult and work with educators all over the world. My focus: edleadership/school culture/relationships and impact on student achievement.

4. Who is your best friend and how did you meet? My best friend is Roberta.  I met her in kindergarten...a looooong time ago. We still hang out.


5. Have you ever met anyone famous? Desribe the encounter. I had two awesome encounters. I'm a big Laker Fan.  I met Luke Walton (when he was actually playing for the Lakers) at Chipotle.  I was in awe.  I walked over to him, introduced myself, and got an autograph.  He asked me if I knew where Petco was located!!! I smiled for days.  Second encounter: I connected with Anthony Muhammad (Transforming School Culture) on Twitter.  I read his book a few years ago and it made a powerful impact on me and my role as an educational leader. I got everyone in my district Ed Services team  (who would listen to me go on and on AND ON about his book) to read it! Meeting him in person was a rock star moment.

6. What was the last book you finished reading? Motion Leadership by Michael Fullan. Michael Fullan is the Change master.

7. You could have dinner with three people from your PLN, who do you invite? Wow...only 3??!!! difficult! I'd love to meet Lorinda Kline (@lorindakline). She sounds like a wonderful person and a passionate leader. I relate to her tweets. Ken Williams (@unfoldthesoul) is an unbelievable speaker and all about school culture.  I'd love to sit and pick his brain for a while. David Culberhouse (@Dculberhouse) is brilliant, period.

8. Would you rather attend a sporting event or concert? If you selected a sporting event, who is playing and what venue is hosting. If you selected a concert, who is performing? LAKERS, for sure. The Lakers with a healthy Kobe playing against Miami (King who??) at the Staples Center. Phil Jackson would coach them to victory.

9. Android or Apple? Apple. :)

10. If you could spend one day doing whatever you want, how do you spend your day? I'd have a day of relaxation. Great coffee and a good book in AM, beach side.  A deep tissue massage, pedicure, and facial (I'm a bit girly) followed by a power nap. I would end my day with my favorite people enjoying a scrumptious dinner, a live blues band, and a glass (or two) of pinot noir.

11. Why did you choose to be an educator? Who has been your greatest influence? Education saved my life. I grew up in poverty and my school was my safe haven.. Many of our students feel the same way and I'd like to create a similar learning experience and environment for them. 
My teachers inspired me, especially Ms. DeLaPena, my first grade teacher.  She validated my language and culture by taking time to teach me to read and write in my native language, Spanish.  She did this on her own time after school.  Thanks to her, I was a proud fluent Spanish and English reader by the end of my first grade year.  
My Fourth Task-Nominate 11 bloggers to join the Homework Club
Lorinda Kline @lorindakline
Scott Rocco @ScottRRocco
Will Remmert @Willremmert
Liz Ramos @historytechie
Luis Cruz @lcruzconsulting
Brad Currie @Bcurrie5
Jimmy Casas @casas_jimmy
David Theriault @davidtedu
Chris MacPhee @CRPSCaper
Scott Cunningham @ScottACunningha
Tom Whitford @twhitford
Questions for you to answer

1. Are you the oldest, middle, or youngest child? 

2. Do you speak another language?

3. What was your first job?

4. How long have you been an educator/leader?

5. Who is your favorite author?

6. What was the last book you read cover to cover?

7. If you could have dinner with three people from your PLN, who would you invite and why?

8. What is your favorite music genre? Favorite artist or band?

9. If you were stranded on a desert island and could take only one item with you, what would it be?

10. If you could change one thing about education, what would it be?

11. Why did you choose to be an educator? Who has been your greatest influence?
That is all, PLN friends.  It's time for you to meet the challenge. I can't wait to read your blogs!

Here is your Task

  1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
  2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
  4. List 11 bloggers.
  5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Myth of Colorblindness

Recently I read a quote by a popular actor that troubled me. His words:  "The best way to stop racism today is to stop talking about it."  Interesting thought. Should we end poverty by not talking about it? Should we close the achievement gap by avoiding the topic? We could begin to change so much of what is wrong in our nation if we engaged in honest and courageous conversations about our biases, beliefs, and misconceptions. One of those misconceptions is the myth of colorblindness .  Colorblindness is the belief that we don't see color or race, that we see people and that we are all the same. These beliefs are widely held by wonderful and well intentioned people, including educators and school leaders. These are idealistic beliefs and there are a number of issues with this ideology: We are beautifully diverse. Colorblindness negates our diversity, race and culture We all see color and we all have biases. When we identify as colorblind, we are suppressin

#EdWriteNow - Connecting with Every Student: Creating a Culture of Equity and Access

Being a connected educator has allowed me to develop my capacity as an educational leader and learner.   Over the last few years I’ve connected with a number of brilliant and passionate people who have inspired me to find and share my voice through chats, podcasts, research, and blog posts. One of those professional learning network connections is Jeff Zoul, teacher, leader, presenter, author and someone whose work I follow and admire. Last year I received an exciting email from Jeff. He invited me to be part of a project with nine tremendous educational leaders. In his email Jeff shared a bit about the project and I immediately knew that I wanted to be part of it. The book project is titled #EdWriteNow VII and the plan was to write the book over a couple days AND publish 6 months later.   I was familiar with #EdWriteNow Volume I and the great organization associated with the project, The Will to LiveFoundation . The Will to Live Foundation is an organization dedicated to the pre

Passive Oppression in Education: Fueling the Achievement Gap

Many students in districts across the nation are faced with issues of poverty, racism, and oppression in their communities and schools.  Educators and administrators are uncertain about how to meet the needs of  students, especially students of color, living in poverty. The fact is that too many educators, for a variety of reasons, have simply surrendered to the forces of poverty and racism. In the process they have also surrendered our children’s future (Yes We Can, 2005).  This sad submission contributes to the academic achievement gap for our Hispanic, Native American, and Black youth. According to the 2013 results of the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP): The test scores indicate that Black, Hispanic, and Native American students in the fourth and eighth grades scored significantly lower than their White peers in reading and math. Moreover, Black, Hispanic, and Native American students demonstrate proficiency in reading and math at much lower levels than White s